Friday 24 February 2012

Friendship

I have the most amazing best friend. 

"M" and I met through my ex. When people ask how we met I say "I got her in the "divorce" (haha) - *Note: I have never been divorced, however, with the division of friends, stuff, family and feelings after a 6 year relationship is sure felt like it* -

Our friendship started out rather odd...in fact she told the story at my wedding and it got a good laugh. I met her at a mutual friends birthday. We instantly hit it off and by the end of the night I was asking for her number...yes...her number, I totally picked her up, lol. She was taken aback but but quickly recovered from her shock that a girl was asking for her number. After the relationship with my ex ended we were single together for a little while and then we both met our husbands shortly after that. For years we have set aside one day a week for each other...it has been that way since before the men in our lives so for example my DH is aware that every Thursday is "M Day" and likewise her DH knows every Thursday is "K Day". We do everything and anything...usually it involves a coupon of some sort because we get together every week we like to keep costs down. We go hiking, to the gym, restaurants, shopping...whatever we really feel like. Mostly it is just a time to spend with each other catching up on each others lives over the last week. I have come to really rely on those days. In fact when we miss a day due to a scheduled event we almost always call or text each other sometime after saying how we feel like it has been forever and how much we are looking forward to our next "date".

I love her to bits and pieces. She is my confidant, my shoulder to cry on when needed and my partner in crime. I really do not know what I would do without her.

We were taking last night about what a struggle these last couple of months have been for me and my up and downs of emotions and it really hit me that although she may not know how I feel because she has never been there it puts me at some ease knowing she is just there. We have experienced a lot of life with each other over the years and I am really looking forward to seeing what the years ahead hold. It is my wish that my children are blessed with a best friend as true as "M".
This picture is still one of my favourites...
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. - Bernard Meltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment